I have no idea if Waldorf chicken salad is in “season” this close to Christmas, but I don’t really know much about seasonal food anyway. All I know is this chicken salad is so good, I’m going to make more of it and eat it again tomorrow.
This is the perfect dish to bring together all these flavors and textures. I’m using raw, unsalted almonds halved. Honestly, I probably could have kept going on the apples and grapes, too. But for the sake of portions, I’ve limited it to what you see below.
Waldorf Chicken Salad
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 apple
- 1 celery stalk
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup halved almonds
- 1 cup halved, red seedless grapes
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- Bring a pot of water to boil. Once boiling, reduce the heat to medium and place chicken breasts in pot. Cover with lid.
- Let chicken cook for about 15 minutes, making sure it's cooked all the way through.
- Remove chicken from pot and place in a mixing bowl. Use two forks to pull the chicken into shreds. Let cool.
- Once the chicken has cooled, combine all the ingredients and stir together. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Enjoy on a bed of spinach, on a sandwich or by itself!